Like many around the globe, Canada’s career service professionals are navigating the rapidly changing reality of life amid COVID-19. Front-line workers are adapting on the fly, in many cases figuring out how to serve clients and students virtually, while managers are learning how to lead remote teams in real time. CERIC operations continue with employees working remotely to bring you research, education and connection during this unprecedented time.
This list is a compilation of resources and information we hope will be useful to Canadian career professionals. It will be updated over the coming weeks. If you have resources or information you think would be valuable to include in this list, please comment below or email email@example.com with details.
This article does not provide health information. For information about coronavirus, please visit the Health Canada website, or check with your municipal or provincial health authority.
(Last updated May 8)
Table of Contents
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) – Employment and Social Development Canada: Information about how COVID-19 is affecting Employment Insurance (EI), the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, employee rights and responsibilities in federally regulated workplaces, Canada Student Loans and more.
- More information about the support the Government of Canada is providing to Canadians and businesses experiencing hardship as a result of the outbreak can be found at canada.ca.
- Government of Canada launches emergency wage subsidy calculator for employers (CharityVillage)
- Guide to provincial and federal government aid
- PM Trudeau announces $9B in new COVID-19 funding for students (CTV News)
- Student loan payments to National Student Loans Service Centre suspended without interest until Sept. 30, 2020.
- The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (Government of Canada)
- What you need to know about the new COVID-19 benefits program (CBC)
Articles, resources and advice geared toward people navigating job search and interviewing amid the pandemic.
- 15 Ideas For Job Seekers To Do During Coronavirus Quarantine (JobMob)
- 10 Job-hunting Tips that Will Turn Your Search Around (Job Search Secret Weapon)
- 8 Proven Video Interview Tips to Help You Succeed (FlexJobs)
- Ask Me Anything: Job Searching & COVID-19 (LinkedIn Live – Austin Belcak)
- A Top Recruiter’s 9 Secrets for Phone Interview Success (job-hunt)
- BC companies creating new jobs in response to COVID-19 pandemic (The Province)
- Best Foot Forward Resume Writing Course available free until the end of April
- Canadian COVID19 List of Hiring Companies
- Changes to Canada Summer Jobs program to help businesses and young Canadians affected by COVID-19 (Government of Canada)
- COVID-19: Job market insights & job search strategies from experts (CultivatedCulture)
- COVID-19: Your Professional Life and Staying Grounded (LinkedIn newsletter – The Dynamic Transition)
- Creative Directions (Registered Graphic Designers) – A virtual conference April 27, 29 & May 1 designed to help graduates and emerging designers gain the tools and knowledge needed to embark upon and build a career in the creative communications industries.
- Daisy Wright, Certified Career Management & Executive Leadership Coach, holding weekly live Casual Career Chats. Check her LinkedIn for details.
- Get up & Job Search! (Career Therapy) – Daily YouTube livestreams for jobseekers by a career coach.
- Housing Job Match – Connecting British Columbians looking for work with non-profit housing and shelter organizations that need their help
- How do you continue a job search during a pandemic? Here are 10 tips that may help (ThriveGlobal)
- How Hourly Workers Can Make a Living During The Corona Crisis (LinkedIn newsletter – Workplace Intelligence Weekly)
- How to Handle a Job Search During a Pandemic (The Balance Careers)
- #HopeSummit (Vyten Career Coaching), May 4-8: a global virtual summit to help jobseekers navigate the next step in their professional careers during uncertain times.
- Is the coronavirus going to disrupt your job search? (LinkedIn newsletter – Get Hired): Also, check out the response to the article from jobseekers and businesses.
- Job interviews during a pandemic (LinkedIn newsletter – Get Hired)
- Learning Exchange (Accenture) – employment skills training platform now free to independent job seekers in addition to agencies with employment training programs.
- Looking for work? These industries are hiring in Toronto during the COVID-19 pandemic (CBC)
- Moving On… A Quick Guide for Nonprofit Workers in Career Transition (The Counselling Foundation of Canada)
- Navigating Your Way Through Virtual Job Fairs: Tips for Jobseekers (JVS Toronto)
- Ontario launches agriculture and food job portal to support the response to coronavirus (DailyHive)
- Resources to Help You Navigate the Challenges of Today’s Job Market (LinkedIn)
- The Accelerated Resume Course (Growth Hack Your Career) – offered for $5 in response to COVID-19 until April 30
- The Best Free Career Resources Out Now (Briefcase Coach)
- The Expert’s Practical Guide to Job Searching During Self Containment (Briefcase Coach)
- The Ultimate Job Interview Research Workbook (Careerasaurus) – now free (previously $25) due to COVID-19
- Thrive making job-search management software available free to those affected by COVID-19
- TorontoJobs.ca’s Marc Belaiche is hosting weekly Facebook Live sessions with job search tips.
- US remote jobs – While these hundreds of jobs are from US-based companies, it may be worth a look to see if any are hiring outside the country for remote positions
- Virtual Get Back to Work Program (First 30) – free for first 10,000 people
- What to Do If You Can’t Work During an Emergency and Where to Look (FlexJobs)
- Who’s Hiring During the Pandemic? (Resource listing by Career Thought Leaders)
If you or someone you know needs help now, you can call (1-833-456-4566) or text (45645) Crisis Services Canada. You can also reach a trained crisis responder by texting, live chatting or calling Kids Help Phone. You can also call 9-1-1.
- 6 tips to respond to employee anxiety about COVID-19 (Canadian Mental Health Association)
- COVID-19 and Mental Health @ Work (Government of Canada)
- Free counselling service launches for post-secondary students (Government of BC)
- Government of Canada connects Canadians with mental wellness supports during COVID-19
- “I’m incredibly anxious about coronavirus. What can I do?” (TED)
- Insulating for isolation: a mental health checklist for getting through quarantine (The Conference Board of Canada)
- LinkedIn Live daily meditation (by Certified Mindfulness Coach & Resume Strategist Kerri Twigg)
- Live guided meditation – 3 p.m. ET, daily (Ten Percent Happier)
- That discomfort you’re feeling is grief (Harvard Business Review)
You may also find these past CareerWise articles informative:
- How career development is also a mental health practice
- Resources to help support teen mental health
- 5 mental-health resources career and workplace professionals can use
- Dear career professional: A self-care letter from your subconscious
- 5 resources to get you started on the road to self-care
Other sector resource compilations
Sector-specific resources lists for dealing with COVID-19 that may be informative for you or your clients.
- Career Professional Community Resources & Support (Career Professionals of Canada)
- Covid-19 Nonprofit & Philanthropy Resources
- COVID-19 Resources for the Nonprofit and Charitable Sector (Charity Village)
- COVID-19 Resource Guide for Trucking & Logistics Employers (Trucking HR Canada)
- Dealhack Canada Guide to Free Online Resources During the COVID-19 Pandemic – compilation of online courses, software, academic journals and apps
- Essential Services and Occupations: A Pan-Canadian List (LMIC)
- #ImpactCovid Summit Resource List (Canadian Council for Youth Prosperity)
- Employer Bulletin – COVID-19 (Ottawa Employment Hub)
- HR and COVID-19: All the resources you need to survive and succeed (Workable)
- Resources for Canadian artists, writers and media workers during COVID-19 shutdowns
- Resources for community foundations (Community Foundations of Canada)
- Resources to help nonprofits adapt and respond to COVID-19 (Ontario Nonprofit Network)
- ACSESS Conference
- Amplify (FirstWork)
- CACEE 2020 National Conference
- Canadian Association of College & University Student Services (CACUSS)
- 2020 Career Development Conference (BCCDA)
- CASE Conference
- CCO Conference (Career Colleges Ontario)
- CCPA Annual Conference
- CDAA’s ACDC 2020
- CICan Conference
- CONTACT Conference
- CPHR BC & Yukon HR Conference & Expo
- National Apprenticeship Conference
- NSCDA Conference
- OCEA Spring Conference
- ONECA Conference (Ontario Native Education Counselling Association)
- VISION 2020 Conference (ICF)
- Going Viral: Taking Your Conference Online for COVID-19 (Inside Higher Ed)
- Tips on how to plan a virtual academic conference (Times Higher Education)
- Virtual AGM Facilitation Guide (Ontario Nonprofit Network)
Remote working – tips and technology
- 5 big tech companies making remote-work tools free during the coronavirus outbreak, including Google and Microsoft (BusinessInsider)
- 7 work-from-home tips from remote work veterans (CareerWise)
- Adobe is Giving Everyone 2 Months of Free Creative Cloud — Here’s How To Get It (PetaPixel)
- Challenge Factory’s Free Remote Co-Working Club: An online co-working environment to keep you focused and support you in achieving your daily goals while you adjust to working remotely.
- Coronavirus: How to work from home, the right way (BBC)
- COVID-19: Ultimate Guide to Free Video Conferencing & Collaboration (UC Today)
- Creating shared workforce resilience: Navigating the human and business impact of COVID-19 (Accenture)
- Essential Guide to Managing Employees During Disruption (Your Workplace)
- Google Gives Away Hangouts Meet Features in Response to Coronavirus (CMS Wire)
- New to Working Remotely? These Resources Can Help (LinkedIn): A free learning path with 16 courses to help you maximize efficiency and productivity, manage the impact of adjusting to your new work environment, remotely manage and lead teams, and get to know remote work productivity tools (e.g. Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams, etc.)
- Nonprofit Work From Home Policy Template & Tips (Whole Whale)
- Pro tips from CharityVillage staff on working from home
- The Art of Running Online Meetings (People Focus Training)
- The Tech You Need to Get Started Working Remotely (CharityVillage)
- Three Things I’m Doing to Lead a Remote Team (The Potentiality)
Webinars and virtual events
Webinars about how different sectors are responding to COVID-19 and tips for organizations and individuals navigating it, plus opportunities for remote training while you’re practising social distancing. Please note that some of these webinars may have passed by the time you are reading this article – consider getting in touch with organizations to see if they are able to share notes, slides or recordings.
Webinars for May are now being added to this CareerWise article: Webinars for career professionals in May 2020
- Informational webinar on workers’ rights during COVID-19 (Fight for $15 & Fairness Campaign) | April 16 and 23
- LinkedIn Mythbusters (LinkedIn) | April 14 and 22
- LinkedIn 202: Using LinkedIn for Business Services Outreach (LinkedIn) | April 16 and 28
- The World Has Shifted. Has Your Leadership? (Potential Project) | April 16 and April 21
- Managing employees and volunteers during COVID-19 (Ontario Nonprofit Network) | April 22
- LinkedIn 201: Helping Your Clients Stand Out to Recruiters (LinkedIn) | April 23
- Campus Recruiting Forum: Making Virtual Internships Work! (Brainstorm Strategy Group) | April 28
- Career Engagement in the COVID-19 Context (Aspect BC) | April 30
- Retain and Gain: How Career Ownership is Transforming Nonprofits and Charities (CharityVillage) | April 30
- Time to Pivot: Designing Virtual Leadership Experiences (DDI) | On demand
- Working Remotely in Slack: Getting Started (Slack) | Multiple dates
- Mind Control: Managing Your Mental Health During COVID-19 (Coursera) | Free online course started April 1
- Zoom live training webinars | Daily
- Career Stories Live (Kerri Twigg) | Every Thursday, recordings available
- Thriving Through Chaos: How to Manage Your Mental and Emotional Well-Being and Help Your Clients Do the Same (CERIC) | March 31, April 1, April 2 and April 9 (recordings available online)
- The Conference Board of Canada has its COVID-19 past webinars and videos available to stream
- Running a nonprofit virtually during a pandemic (Ontario Nonprofit Network) | Recording available
- Your impact on mental health: How your career development practice promotes client mental health (CERIC) | Recording available
- Coping with COVID19: Positive Thinking (APCDA) | Recording available on demand
- Learning to Learn Online (Athabasca University) | Free online course running to April 26
- Brainstorm Strategy Group running weekly Town Halls to connect employers and post-secondary
- Algonquin College launches free virtual training to support the business community during COVID-19
Looking for sources of regular webinar training? These organizations offer live, recorded or on-demand webinars that may be of interest to career professionals or the clients/students they serve: ACCES Employment; APCDA; BambooHR; BCCDA; BC Centre for Employment Excellence; Brandon Hall Group; Career Professionals of Canada; CCPA; CDAA; CERIC; CharityVillage; Conference Board of Canada; CPHR Manitoba; Crisis and Trauma Resource Centre; Hire Immigrants; Mental Health Commission of Canada; MENTOR; NCDA; OACM; Ontario Nonprofit Network; Pay Scale; Psychometrics; Respect Ability; Resume Writing Academy; World Education Services.
- A professor asked her students how they were coping. Here’s what they said. (University Affairs)
- Associations: Focus on Your Career Center in an Uncertain Job Market (Association Adviser)
- Career Professionals of Canada Bulletin on COVID-19
- CEWIL Canada COVID 19 Response
- Charities face cash crisis as virus fears hit fundraising (The Guardian)
- CICan response to COVID-19
- COVID-19 and the charitable sector (Imagine Canada)
- COVID-19—Seven Things Philanthropy Can Do (FSG)
- COVID-19 Updates for ASPECTBC members
- COVID-19 Update (Volunteer Canada)
- Dealing with COVID-19 as a community foundation (Community Foundations of Canada)
- ‘Doing what we do best’: How career professionals are adapting to COVID-19 (CareerWise)
- Federal government Covid-19 measures – implications for sector organizations (Imagine Canada)
- How Canadian startups are tackling the COVID-19 crisis (MaRS)
- ‘Let your kids get bored’: emergency advice from teachers on schooling at home (The Guardian)
- Nonprofits on the front lines of COVID-19 (Ontario Nonprofit Network)
- Ontario Nonprofits and the Impact of COVID-19: A flash survey report (Ontario Nonprofit Network)
- Philanthropy and COVID-19: Let’s roll up our sleeves
- Providing Workforce Professionals with Resources in the Age of COVID-19 (LinkedIn)
- Provincial funding for social services and changes to legislation nonprofits need to know (Ontario Nonprofit Network)
- Responding to career uncertainty with compassion and intentionality (CareerWise)
- Statement Against Discrimination and Xenophobia (OCASI)
- The Recent State Of The Global Economy: A Month Of Shocks (ICTC)
A few fun distractions to enjoy while practising safe social distancing.
- 500 Free Online Courses From Ivy League Schools (Inc)
- 15+ Social Events and Games for Remote Teams (Donut)
- 38 Ways to Use the Library from Home (Toronto Public Library)
- Caring Nation (The Governor General of Canada): Canadians share their stories of resilience, courage and kindness.
- Children’s Book Authors Are Offering Free Online Videos While Kids Are Home From School (PopSugar)
- Houseparty: Get face-to-face time with friends and family and play games together through this live video platform.
- Netflix Party: A Chrome extension for watching Netflix remotely with friends and family. It synchronizes video playback and adds group chat.
- These 12 Famous Museums Offer Virtual Tours You Can Take on Your Couch (Travel and Leisure)
- Trades Games (Trade Up Manitoba): Downloadable games made with the goal of aiding in the education of trade-related jobs and careers.
- UM Rec Services Home Workouts: The University of Manitoba’s Rec Services will be posting a series of videos to guide you through home workouts on its YouTube channel.