Like many around the globe, Canada’s career service professionals are navigating the rapidly changing reality of life amid COVID-19. Front-line workers are adapting on the fly, in many cases figuring out how to serve clients and students virtually, while managers are learning how to lead remote teams in real time. CERIC operations continue with employees working remotely to bring you research, education and connection during this unprecedented time.
This list is a compilation of resources and information we hope will be useful to Canadian career professionals. It will be updated over the coming weeks. If you have resources or information you think would be valuable to include in this list, please comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.
This article does not provide health information. For information about coronavirus, please visit the Health Canada website, or check with your municipal or provincial health authority.
(Last updated March 30, 5:30 p.m.)
Table of Contents
Articles and advice geared toward people navigating job search and interviewing amid the pandemic, in addition to information about financial support for people who are unable to work.
- 15 Ideas For Job Seekers To Do During Coronavirus Quarantine (JobMob)
- 8 Proven Video Interview Tips to Help You Succeed (FlexJobs)
- Ask Me Anything: Job Searching & COVID-19 (LinkedIn Live – Austin Belcak)
- A Top Recruiter’s 9 Secrets for Phone Interview Success (job-hunt)
- Canadian COVID19 List of Hiring Companies
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) – Employment and Social Development Canada: Information about how COVID-19 is affecting Employment Insurance (EI), employee rights and responsibilities in federally regulated workplaces, the Work-Sharing Program and Canada Student Loans. More information about how the support the Government of Canada is providing to Canadians and businesses experiencing hardship as a result of the outbreak can be found at canada.ca.
- COVID-19: Job market insights & job search strategies from experts (CultivatedCulture)
- COVID-19: Your Professional Life and Staying Grounded (LinkedIn newsletter – The Dynamic Transition)
- Get up & Job Search! (Career Therapy) – Daily YouTube livestreams for jobseekers by a career coach.
- How do you continue a job search during a pandemic? Here are 10 tips that may help (ThriveGlobal)
- How Hourly Workers Can Make a Living During The Corona Crisis (LinkedIn newsletter – Workplace Intelligence Weekly)
- How to Handle a Job Search During a Pandemic (The Balance Careers)
- Is the coronavirus going to disrupt your job search? (LinkedIn newsletter – Get Hired): Also, check out the response to the article from jobseekers and businesses.
- Job interviews during a pandemic (LinkedIn newsletter – Get Hired)
- Moving On… A Quick Guide for Nonprofit Workers in Career Transition (The Counselling Foundation of Canada)
- Navigating Your Way Through Virtual Job Fairs: Tips for Jobseekers (JVS Toronto)
- Resources to Help You Navigate the Challenges of Today’s Job Market (LinkedIn)
- The Expert’s Practical Guide to Job Searching During Self Containment (Briefcase Coach)
- What you need to know about the new COVID-19 benefits program (CBC)
If you or someone you know needs help now, you can call (1-833-456-4566) or text (45645) Crisis Services Canada. You can also reach a trained crisis responder by texting, live chatting or calling Kids Help Phone. You can also call 9-1-1.
- 6 tips to respond to employee anxiety about COVID-19 (Canadian Mental Health Association)
- COVID-19 and Mental Health @ Work (Government of Canada)
- “I’m incredibly anxious about coronavirus. What can I do?” (TED)
- Insulating for isolation: a mental health checklist for getting through quarantine (The Conference Board of Canada)
- LinkedIn Live daily meditation (by Certified Mindfulness Coach & Resume Strategist Kerri Twigg)
- Live guided meditation – 3 p.m. ET, daily (Ten Percent Happier)
- That discomfort you’re feeling is grief (Harvard Business Review)
You may also find these past CareerWise articles informative:
- How career development is also a mental health practice
- Resources to help support teen mental health
- 5 mental-health resources career and workplace professionals can use
- Dear career professional: A self-care letter from your subconscious
- 5 resources to get you started on the road to self-care
Other sector resource compilations
Sector-specific resources lists for dealing with COVID-19 that may be informative for you or your clients.
- Career Professional Community Resources & Support (Career Professionals of Canada)
- Covid-19 Nonprofit & Philanthropy Resources
- COVID-19 Resource Guide for Trucking & Logistics Employers (Trucking HR Canada)
- HR and COVID-19: All the resources you need to survive and succeed (Workable)
- Resources for Canadian artists, writers and media workers during COVID-19 shutdowns
- Resources for community foundations (Community Foundations of Canada)
- Resources to help nonprofits adapt and respond to COVID-19 (Ontario Nonprofit Network)
- ACSESS Conference
- Amplify (FirstWork)
- CACEE 2020 National Conference
- 2020 Career Development Conference (BCCDA)
- CCO Conference (Career Colleges Ontario)
- CCPA Annual Conference
- CDAA’s ACDC 2020
- CICan Conference
- CONTACT Conference
- CPHR BC & Yukon HR Conference & Expo
- National Apprenticeship Conference
- NSCDA Conference
- OCEA Spring Conference
- VISION 2020 Conference (ICF)
Remote working – tips and technology
- 5 big tech companies making remote-work tools free during the coronavirus outbreak, including Google and Microsoft (BusinessInsider)
- Adobe is Giving Everyone 2 Months of Free Creative Cloud — Here’s How To Get It (PetaPixel)
- Challenge Factory’s Free Remote Co-Working Club: An online co-working environment to keep you focused and support you in achieving your daily goals while you adjust to working remotely.
- Coronavirus: How to work from home, the right way (BBC)
- COVID-19: Ultimate Guide to Free Video Conferencing & Collaboration (UC Today)
- Essential Guide to Managing Employees During Disruption (Your Workplace)
- Google Gives Away Hangouts Meet Features in Response to Coronavirus (CMS Wire)
- New to Working Remotely? These Resources Can Help (LinkedIn): A free learning path with 16 courses to help you maximize efficiency and productivity, manage the impact of adjusting to your new work environment, remotely manage and lead teams, and get to know remote work productivity tools (e.g. Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams, etc.)
- Nonprofit Work From Home Policy Template & Tips (Whole Whale)
- Pro tips from CharityVillage staff on working from home
- The Art of Running Online Meetings (People Focus Training)
- The Tech You Need to Get Started Working Remotely (CharityVillage)
Webinars and virtual events
Webinars about how different sectors are responding to COVID-19 and tips for organizations and individuals navigating it, plus opportunities for remote training while you’re practising social distancing. Please note that some of these webinars may have passed by the time you are reading this article – consider getting in touch with organizations to see if they are able to share notes, slides or recordings.
For regular webinars, check out our recent CareerWise compilation: Webinars for career professionals in March and April 2020.
- Managing employees and volunteers during COVID-19 (Ontario Nonprofit Network) | March 30
- Zoom meetings for online learning (Zoom) | March 31
- Thriving Through Chaos: How to Manage Your Mental and Emotional Well-Being and Help Your Clients Do the Same (CERIC) | March 31, April 1 and April 2
- OACM Member Connections Call: Peer support during Covid-19 | April 2
- Running a nonprofit virtually during a pandemic (Ontario Nonprofit Network) | April 2
- #ImpactCOVID: A virtual youth summit (Canadian Centre for Youth Prosperity) | April 2
- Coping with COVID19: Positive Thinking (APCDA) | April 5
- Engaging and Recognizing Employees During the COVID-19 Pandemic and Beyond (Brandon Hall Group) | April 14
- Time to Pivot: Designing Virtual Leadership Experiences (DDI) | On demand
- Working Remotely in Slack: Getting Started (Slack) | Multiple dates
- The Conference Board of Canada has its COVID-19 past webinars and videos available to stream
Looking for sources of regular webinar training? These organizations offer live, recorded or on-demand webinars that may be of interest to career professionals or the clients/students they serve: ACCES Employment; APCDA; BambooHR; BCCDA; BC Centre for Employment Excellence; Brandon Hall Group; Career Professionals of Canada; CCPA; CDAA; CERIC; CharityVillage; Conference Board of Canada; CPHR Manitoba; Crisis and Trauma Resource Centre; Hire Immigrants; Mental Health Commission of Canada; MENTOR; NCDA; OACM; Ontario Nonprofit Network; Pay Scale; Psychometrics; Respect Ability; Resume Writing Academy; World Education Services.
- Associations: Focus on Your Career Center in an Uncertain Job Market (Association Adviser)
- Career Professionals of Canada Bulletin on COVID-19
- CEWIL Canada COVID 19 Response
- Charities face cash crisis as virus fears hit fundraising (The Guardian)
- CICan response to COVID-19
- COVID-19 and the charitable sector (Imagine Canada)
- COVID-19—Seven Things Philanthropy Can Do (FSG)
- COVID-19 Updates for ASPECTBC members
- COVID-19 Update (Volunteer Canada)
- ‘Doing what we do best’: How career professionals are adapting to COVID-19 (CareerWise)
- How Canadian startups are tackling the COVID-19 crisis (MaRS)
- ‘Let your kids get bored’: emergency advice from teachers on schooling at home (The Guardian)
- Nonprofits on the front lines of COVID-19 (Ontario Nonprofit Network)
- Philanthropy and COVID-19: Let’s roll up our sleeves
- Provincial funding for social services and changes to legislation nonprofits need to know (Ontario Nonprofit Network)
- Statement Against Discrimination and Xenophobia (OCASI)
- The Recent State Of The Global Economy: A Month Of Shocks (ICTC)
A few fun distractions to enjoy while practising safe social distancing.
- 500 Free Online Courses From Ivy League Schools (Inc)
- 15+ Social Events and Games for Remote Teams (Donut)
- 38 Ways to Use the Library from Home (Toronto Public Library)
- Children’s Book Authors Are Offering Free Online Videos While Kids Are Home From School (PopSugar)
- Houseparty: Get face-to-face time with friends and family and play games together through this live video platform.
- Netflix Party: A Chrome extension for watching Netflix remotely with friends and family. It synchronizes video playback and adds group chat.
- These 12 Famous Museums Offer Virtual Tours You Can Take on Your Couch (Travel and Leisure)
- Trades Games (Trade Up Manitoba): Downloadable games made with the goal of aiding in the education of trade-related jobs and careers.
- UM Rec Services Home Workouts: The University of Manitoba’s Rec Services will be posting a series of videos to guide you through home workouts on its YouTube channel.